Chuikhim is a small Himalayan hamlet of Kalimpong sub division nestled at an altitude of 3500 feet. Chuikhim lies above Chunavatti of Bagrakot area towards the southern part of Kalimpong district. Chuikhim village is located at the bank of Leesh River and surrounded by lush greenery all round. The organic village of Chuikhim is known for its simplicity of the inhabitants and their rich culture along with authentic rural hospitality and fresh organic food which combines to form a perfect holiday gateway. The name Chuikhim is derived from a Lepcha language and once Chuikhim village was inhabited by Limboo tribal people during the past. The village of Chuikhim is divided into Lower Chuikhim and Upper Chuikhim. Chuikhim village is a part of newly formed Kalimpong district and it has created a history within itself. By the stern efforts of the locals of this village of Chuikhim, recently it is declared as an alcohol free village for the betterment of the society. Their efforts not only stags here, the local villagers of Chuikhim have also initiated to create a self-help group that creates a way of livelihood along with an enhancement in education among the locals. Here at Chuikhim tourists will get the taste of simple Nepali village life. The village of Chuikhim is mostly inhabited by tribal people of Gorkha, Tamang, Gurung, along with some Lepcha and Bhutia who are also the local inhabitants of this village. The main sources of livelihood of the locals of Chuikhim village are agriculture and cattle breeding. Chuikhim village mainly comprises of agricultural fields (where the locals produce different types of vegetables through organic process of step cultivation or terrace farming) along with simple village people, wide open mountains ranges, valleys and serene nature.
Things to do in Chuikhim:
- Chuikhim village is an ideal option for trekking activities through Chel forest which would be a memorable experience.
- Tourists can opt for a village trail to experience the rural life of the region and meet the local villagers to get involved in their day to day activities.
- Tourists can trek down to some hundred feet downhill and reach Leesh River which is a popular picnic spot.
- There is a small hill top located at Chuikhim Village which offers a magnificent view of the snow-capped Himalayan ranges of Mt. Kanchenjunga is also a great spot to experience both Sunrise and Sunset.
- Chuikhim also offers great sightings for bird watchers as the village is inhabited by wide species of Himalayan birds.
- There is a mountain cave located at Chuikhim village where tourists can spot a sculpture of Lord Shiva Lingam naturally formed of Limestone. The locals call it ‘Charchare Babadham’.
- The nearby forest of Chuikhim village is inhabited by different species of reptile, insects and birds which are often spotted by tourists.
- In the evening tourists can also be a part of the tribal dance performed by the Nepali tribes.
- Tourists can opt to visit the nearby village of Yelbong which is mainly known for its Caves, Canyons and waterfalls.
- Other activities one can experience at Chuikhim are fishing and camping at Leesh River, witnessing the agro activities in Sherwani, bird watching and Campfire.
- Other Himalayan streams like Chel and Ghis flows through the valley of Chuikhim, tourists can opt for camping near these rivers.
Nearby places from Chuikhim:
Chuikhim village is well connected with good road transportation with the nearby tourist spots like Charkhole (15 km), Yelbong (05 km) Lolegaon (23 km), Samtahar (25 km), Pabong, Manabari, Dalim and Gajaoldoba.
How to reach:
By Air: Bagdogra Airport is the nearest airport to Chuikhim village located at a distance of 64 km via NH10. Bagdogra is well connected by regular flight services with Kolkata, Guwahati and Delhi.
By Rail: New Jalpaiguri Railway station is the nearest rail head to Chuikhim village located at a distance of 52 km via Sevoke, Mongpong, Bagrakot and Chunavatti.
By Road: Chuikhim Village is well connected by a good motor-able road with Bagdogra, NJP railway station, Siliguri and many other tourist spots located nearby. Apart from the route via Sevoke, Mongpong, Bagrakot and Chunavatti, tourists can also prefer to avail the route via Minji or Charkhole to reach Chuikhim village, which is less costly, but in that case the availability of vehicles are less in number. Bagrakot is located around 40 km away from NJP railway station, from here via Bagrakot Tea Garden, Chunavatti and Chel Forest tourists can reach Chuikhim. From Bagrakot Choupathi around 14 km away lies Chuikhim. Tourists are advised to avail reserved cars from Siliguri to reach Chuikhim directly which is much easier. Chuikhim is located around 31 km away from Malbazaar and 23 km away from Lolegaon.
Best time to visit:
Chuikhim is an all season destination cum retreat. But tourists are advised to avoid the monsoon season. Summers are pretty cool and enjoyable. Winters are best to catch the majestic view of the snow-capped Himalayan ranges along with the maximum bird activity.
Chuikhim Homestay is one of the most popular and guest friendly accommodation available at Chuikhim. Chuikhim Homestay is an eco-friendly which offers simple staying option for tourists and is often claimed as home away from home. Chuikhim Homestay is a beautiful homestay with four spacious rooms. Chuikhim Homestay is easily accessible and is located a few minutes driving distance from the main road. Here at Chuikhim Homestay tourists can experience authentic rural hospitality along with fresh organic soul that makes your holiday trip a delightful one. Chuikhim Homestay is set amidst lush greenery and thick natural vegetation all over. Chuikhim Homestay offers stunning view of the surrounding plains of Dooars region along with mountain ranges. Chuikhim Homestay offers tourists with fresh home cooked meals which are usually garden fresh.
Rooms are well furnished with attached bathrooms.
24 hours running water (hot & cold).
Village walks & Nature Trails.
Camp Fire, Fishing & Camping at Leesh River.
Cave Canyon in Yelbong.
Arrangement of local tours.
Pick up and drop facility.
Rooms offer majestic view of the surrounding valleys.
INR @ 1400/- (per day per person – both food & lodging included).
Meals include: morning tea, breakfast, lunch, evening tea, snacks and dinner.
HOW TO BOOK: Call us at 9830381306, 9831311606 to get the current availability status or use the query form furnished below with all you travel queries and submit, we will call/ contact you directly.
Or, you may also directly book from our Kolkata office at: 8C Shanti Ghosh Street, Kolkata – 700003. Nearest Landmark: Manindra Chandra College and Shyambazar Metro Railway Station (Gate No: 3).